Korea rolls out 'smoking booths' on the streets


Article: What are your thoughts on the 'street smoking booths'?

Source: Herald Econ via Nate

1. [+2,036, -35] I think smoking booths are a great idea. I am seriously opposed to anyone just smoking on the streets.

2. [+1,657, -27] Well go on and make them so I can smoke inside

3. [+1,645, -99] If you see a smoking booth, please go smoke inside that... don't continue to smoke out in public just because you don't want to smell the smoke of another smoker.

4. [+52, -5] Considering the higher taxes on cigarettes, they better be using that money to make separate facilities for smokers. It's good for non-smokers too since it keeps the smoke away from them ㅡㅡ arguing that these booths go against anti smoking campaigns is a bunch of excuses ㅡ

5. [+43, -1] These booths go against anti smoking campaigns? Cigarettes shouldn't be sold at all then ㅡㅡ but if you're going to keep selling them, then make sure these booths are being made. It's an uncomfortable situation for both smokers and non-smokers on the streets.

6. [+41, -8] The funnier thing is that even smokers don't want to smoke in the booths because it's full of smoke from other people so they continue to smoke outside ㅋㅋㅋ

7. [+31, -3] I think it's pointless... I saw it on the news before and people were smoking with the booth door open... I'm seriously so tired of people who smoke on the streets and make me deal with it

8. [+28, -2] I read this article on the bus and got off at a terminal in Seoul and saw a smoking booth there... barely anyone was smoking inside of it, everyone was smoking outside, and some even smoking in the booth with the door open! I think it's because it's so hot in there but it's just some more things to consider when installing these booths!!

9. [+20, -3] As a smoker, I'm all for these booths. I always make sure to smoke in alleyways with no people in them but sometimes I'll see a kid with his mom coming through and it's awkward for both me and the mom. I'd rather they increase the number of these booths so that I can enjoy my smoke without worrying about other people. If they're raising the prices of cigarettes, shouldn't they be giving us more facilities like this?

10. [+18, -2] Install these booths nationwide and add an air conditioner to them. The expenses can come out of the increased prices of cigarettes. Increase the price of a pack to $10 and use the extra money on building smoking booths ㅋㅋ

11. [+16, -0] I agree that it's better to build 'designated smoking zones' than only 'no smoking zones'... because people end up seeing the no smoking zones and smoke anywhere else they please.

-